Tom Ford life history tells about how to become one of the most famous designers in the world. He was the mastermind behind turning the philosophy of Gucci, from being a mere accessories brand into one of the most known luxury brands around the world. He brought an uncompromising style with a modern appeal to all his designs, which focused the fancy of his clients, who were from Hollywood. Tom Ford initially displayed a passion for acting and then went on to study architecture and art history. Than he debut as a fashion designer.
In his final year as an architecture student, his love for fashion was declared. He was Cathy Hardwick’s design assistant. Than become a prominent women’s ready-to-wear designer and creative director at Gucci. It is right to say that he changed the way the world perceived the brand and cemented his place in the fashion world forever.
Tom Ford as an open homosexual, gained international fame for his famous makeover of the Gucci fashion house and the introduction of the ‘Tom Ford’ fashion label. Here you have the main steps of his career.
– After he graduated from university, he was keen on working for Cathy Hardwick. He called her every day in the hope of securing a job under her one day; and so he did. He worked with her for two years as assistant.
– In 1988, he worked at the clothing brand Perry Ellis. Here he understood that, however he grew tired with American fashion, was more stimulating to venture out into the world of classier European fashion.
– He relocated to Milan in 1990 and was appointed as the chief women’s ready-to-wear designer at Gucci.
– In 1992, he took over as Gucci’s design director and within a matter of months expanded menswear. He also led the brand’s pret-a-porter fragrances, image, advertising and store design.
– In 1993, he was in charge of eleven product lines.
– He was promoted to the position of creative director in 1994 and was celebrated for bringing the ‘glamor’ back into fashion with: hipsters, satin shirts and metallic boots. Gucci that was once-dying, had a value of almost $4.3 billion, which is mostly credited to Ford and his creative genius.
– In 2004, Ford left the Gucci group at a time when it was valued at $10 billion. After he left Gucci, he launched the ‘Tom Ford’ label two years later.
– In 2005, he announced the opening of his film production company.
– His first store ‘Tom Ford’, was inaugurated on April 12, 2007 in New York City. In the subsequent years, several ‘Tom Ford’ stores have been opened in London, Tokyo, Milan and Los Angeles.